Transition Hairstyles

February 11, 2009

Flat Twistout Hairstyle

I plan on utilizing various transition hairstyles to protect or hide my hair. The above picture shows me with a flat twistout hairstyle. It’s probably going to be my trademark do because it’s so simple to style. Plus I can airdry it and limiting heat on my hair is also something that I want to focus on. Below is a full list of the other hairstyles I want to try while transitioning.

Transition Hairstyles
- Braidouts
- Twistouts
- Flat Twistout
- Rollerset
- Flexi Rods Set
- Perm Rods Set
- Bantu Knots
- Braids
- Twists
- Cornrows
- Buns
- Wigs (I’ll utilize this option more if I get tired of the above)

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Stacey February 11, 2009 at 3:13 pm

My hair is probably tip-toeing around my shoulder right now. In about 3 months or so, when it gets longer, I may start playing around with braidouts and twistouts.

Looks great!

Dani February 11, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Stacey! I say go for it, they are super easy to do and I can make them last for a week.

Stacey February 12, 2009 at 9:10 am

I’m curious… What do you use to do your braidouts? What’s your leave-in conditioner? Moisturizer? Sealer? etc…

Dani February 12, 2009 at 6:46 pm

The only leave-in I use is Lacio Lacio. I’ve been experimenting with my flat twistout (I use the same mixes for my braidouts) and think I just found my staple moisturizing setting mix. I placed water, glycerin, and aloe vera in a water bottle and sprayed onto each section. Then I sealed the section with coconut oil. I have a feeling that’s going to be my final mix.

I just did one last night and will take it down tomorrow… will post pics of the result and a more detailed post to my blog before I go to school tomorrow.

JAYLA August 9, 2010 at 11:38 am

I LOVE THE STYLES! WHAT DO YOU USE TO MOISTURIZE YOUR HAIR?

Janay July 22, 2011 at 1:14 am

I’ve been transitioning for 8, almost 9 months now. Recently, I’ve tried and fell in love wit straw sets and twist outs but can’t seem to make them last for longer that about 4 days without it starting 2 look matted. Other than a satin cap, what can I do 2 make my styles last and what suggestion do u have for a daily moisturizer?

Ery December 14, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Well I have a short bob kind of hairstyle and ive started transitioning but its kind of hard to style my hair and its not long enough to be braided yet.. Can anybody help me out here??

Ladii Angela December 19, 2011 at 9:39 pm

When it comes to natural hair we all have several different patterns that need to be maintained differently. I recommend you ladies experiment with several different moisturizing creames to find which one work best with your hair type. A moisturizer with Shea butter included is a plus.

Sew In weaving extensions are also a great way to transition to your natural hair. The braids will allow your scalp and hair to rest.

Janeen December 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm

For the past 6 months, I’ve been experimenting with different braiding styles, and I now have a sew-in weave while I grow out my relaxer. I’m going to confront my fears and go natural. I’ve always liked flexi rods and will try it tonight on my weave.

Beebee February 8, 2012 at 8:23 am

im in africa and im still in my early stages of transitioning..ive got really fine hair any tips on transitioning with extra fine hair?

TheExpressionista! March 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm

We love your blog! Many of our customers are naturals! We will definitely refer them to this blog.

All Made Up Expressions
Social Media Team
800.840.0987

Bonnie March 12, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I am at my third month of transition. I am noticing that some parts of my hair is growing faster than other parts. Is that normal with transition? I am also noticing different textures. Please explain.

Tiffany April 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Im currently in month 6 of my transition…and I can say that my journey has been interesting. Sew-ins have been my hair savior. I love the twist/braid outs, but they always turn out frizzy. I recently found a mango and lime Jamaican product for transitioning hair and I love it. Happy transitioning to everyone.