Learning how to roller set hair was my first challenge in becoming a true hair DIYer. Listed are the steps that I take to achieve the hairstyle. The first picture below shows the roller set layout that I follow.
1. After washing, I apply my Lacio Lacio leave-in conditioner (quarter size for each half) followed by Keracare’s Silken Seal Serum (dime size), and Fantasia IC Heat Protectant (quarter size). Then I fill up a spray bottle of water to use for setting. Minimal Hair Products + Spray Bottle of Water = Bouncy, Non-Crunchy, Beautiful Hair.
2. I part my hair down the center by measuring with a roller until I get a mohawk and two side parts.
3. Once my hair is sectioned off, I start parting the mohawk area, spray each section with water, roll up and secure the rollers with clips. Last, I do my sides the same way.
If I want a curly hairstyle… I just take the rollers out and finger comb them into place until I get the look I desire. For a big hairstyle, just use a paddle brush to gently brush out the curls. I usually do this to achieve the roller set hairstyle below.
Last, if you want a sleek look… just wrap your hair after your roller set drys, place a little bit of moisturizing cream on it, and secure your hair with saran wrap. (Sounds weird, but it works) Sit under the dryer on low/cool for 10-15 minutes. Here is a picture of my hair when I did that. Note: It’s a shot of my relaxed hair about two years ago.
Below are two hair videos that show a roller set tutorial using the same mohawk hair technique I use when doing my own roller set.
- Roll up instead of down if your arms start hurting.
- Don’t put too much tension on your hair when rolling. Rolling your hair too tight can lead to traction alopecia or hair loss.
- If you’re transitioning, try to refrain from using a comb. The two textures are very fragile and become damaged or break from excessive combing. I suggest using a wide tooth comb to detangle or the finger comb method.
- Don’t use a lot of Hair Products. Less is More!
- Don’t place too much hair on each roller.
Rollersetting Hair Products and Tools